Hi and Happy December!
I personally find December to be mayhem. Joyful mayhem, but still mayhem. Between working, cooking, shopping, cleaning, decorating, wrapping and baking, it’s seriously hard to find time for workouts much less stretching and relaxation. The ladies who come to my yoga class in December are CRAVING chillpower and can’t wait to sit still, breathe, stretch (and get spritzed with some calming essential oils 🙂
And the thing is, when we get stressed and run-down, we weaken our protective shield are we are more likely to get a cold or flu!
So, here are some easy ways to boost your Christmas Chillpower and immunity this holiday season…
1. Take a self-care TIME OUT
The little things we do can make a HUGE difference and it doesn’t need to take a lot of time or money…
- Make a superfood soup with bone broth
- Drink hot lemon water with raw honey or anti-inflammatory golden milk
- Eat and drink probiotic-rich foods and beverages like kimchi, saurkraut, kefir and kombucha
- Diffuse or spritz yourself with calming, immune-boosting essential oils like lavendar, Serenity blend and On Guard protective blend
- Take a hot epsom salt bath with a few drops of lavendar essential oil
- Do 10 minutes of Yoga for Calm Energy
- Treat yourself to a massage or do a foam roll and stretch self-massage session
To motivate you to stay on track and look forward to a healthier new year, gift yourself my January Jump Start Juice & Superfood Reboot to give you something healthy to look forward to in the new year!
Here’s a short videos with immune-boosting tips plus a restorative yoga segment…
2. Put yourself at the TOP of your gift list. I tend to get drained very easily with all the parties, get-togethers and late nights. So I make sure to X out one or two weekend nights on the December calendar so it’s just me and my husband by the Christmas tree and the fire, lounging with our three rescue pups (and honestly few things bring me more joy than knowing these three doggies aren’t sitting in a shelter this Christmas).
If there is a health-inspired gift you really want, let your loved ones know your intention to practice more self-care and nudge them towards that yoga membership you’ve wanting to treat yourself to, a massage series or my yoga, juice & superfood reboot 🙂
Book a massage during the holidays if you can! Yes, it’s an indulgence in a time when we’re spending so much time and money on other people, but I’m a big believer in self-care because as I always say “you can’t give from an empty cup.” Self-care needs to come first.
Also, be true to yourself during the holidays and always. I’m an introvert, so I recharge by being alone and quiet. But maybe you’re an extrovert who thrives on parties, loud music and late nights – either way, do more of that if it truly brings you joy. We are all different. The older I get, the less I worry about perfectionism and what other people think.
So, put yourself at the top of your gift list. Remember, self-care is the opposite of selfish.
3. Slow down and enjoy your food 🙂 Remember, it’s not just WHAT you eat, it’s HOW you eat … So eat with joy not guilt. Follow your intuition and say yes to foods that truly bring you joy … and don’t waste your precious energy on foods that will make you feel guilty and sluggish. Even if it’s a super indulgent cake, I believe if you eat with joy, it has a positive effect on your mind, body and spirit. If you eat that same piece of cake with guilt, your body knows the difference.
We each have our own dietary needs, so if it’s safe to eat youf grandma’s homemade cookies that are full of gluten, dairy and sugar, then be sure to do it with a smile 🙂 I’m not saying it’s a free-for-all to eat all the holiday treats, but certain foods deserve to be eaten with joy not guilt (and I swear, your body knows the difference). And YES continue to “crowd out” the unhealthy foods by filling up veggies, fruits, smoothies, salads and superfoods.
PS Kick off the new year lighter, heathier and more energized with the January Jump Start Superfood & Juice Reboot!